Saturday, October 27, 2018

Seize the Moment

I have figured out that the best time to do this is when the mood strikes.  If not, the moment and the mood passes and it is gone. 

Tonight, we had a gathering for my youngest diabetic brother (Joe) who has turned 50 and has landed in a nursing home. :(  As I sat there and watched everything unfold, I began thinking of how our lives (the lives of the Knox children) have ended up thus far.  My oldest brother has Parkinson's disease.  He is still living at his home but has his difficulties.  His wife divorced him and he is now living alone.  My other younger brother has diabetes.  He does well with his health care as near as I can tell.  I have had my issues but they have not been as critical as theirs.  I recognize this blessing and give credit to God where it is due.When we were children, we actually never thought of future difficulties and I guess most kids don't.

Joe was diagnosed as a diabetic when he was 3. He has been down a rough road.  We lived beside a railroad track.  I can remember playing in the yard and watching the trains go by.  My favorites were the passenger cars.  We always waved at those folks until someone waved back. I can only imagine what those people thought of us barefoot rowdies.  I always wanted to ride in one of those cars but never did.  We saw cars from everywhere and we read whatever was printed on the side.  We saw lots of graffiti as well. Sometimes we counted the cars.   I always wondered where those people were going. We had an old railroad tower on our property as we lived on the site of the old Hagenbaughs Station. The tower had actually been moved and sat on our property at this time.
  Dad eventually tore the building down because he couldn't keep us kids from wanting to play inside.  It really wasn't safe, I must say.

I really breaks my heart to see what my brothers are going through. It just hurts.




No comments:

Post a Comment